· Why not throw a party and ask all of the invited guests to bring a friend that no one in your group has already met?
· Take a class that attracts more people of the opposite sex. For instance women can learn to play golf or take a sailing class. Men can take Yoga or a Pilates class. Whatever you do, make sure you really want to take part in the activity and aren’t doing it just for a date. The people in the class will recognize that ruse immediately and it will quickly back backfire.
· Why not volunteer? Habitat for Humanity is a great charity. You’ll meet people of all ages and from all backgrounds. Most of them will be interesting, good-natured, and will have strong values, as well.
· Joining a club is a great way to meet new like-minded people. Book clubs, wine clubs, hiking clubs, or gardening clubs all provide opportunities for meeting new people with similar interest.
· Are you a budding actor or actress? Join a theater group. Some groups can be large, with an abundance of people from all age groups from the opposite sex.
· Evening classes at local universities have many older adults who are looking to learn new things.
· The local senior center might be a good place. The center in my town has all sorts of activities that attract mature singles of all ages–simple movie nights, dances, day trips, weeklong trips all over the world, and everything in between. We have quite an active senior center!
· A fairly recent method of meeting people is through online dating sites. There are many dating sites out there, some specifically for older more mature singles. These sites are a good option to meet a variety of people. It’s fairly easy to get started on these sites–just create your profile, provide a recent photo of yourself, and write a short profile essay telling a little bit about yourself. Before you know it, you’ll be meeting lots of interesting new people with similar interest and background who share the same values and beliefs as you do.
It doesn’t matter how you choose to meet other mature singles. The important thing is that you be proactive and do something where you will make new friends. Who knows? Maybe you’ll even start a new romance that will turn into a serious relationship. In any case, no matter what happens, it will be a new experience, and that’s always positive.